Introducing my latest seaplane model, the PBY Catalina RC Plane! This versatile plane is designed to take off and land on both land and water, thanks to its detachable landing gear. While it may require some additional work to switch between land and water modes, it will fly beautifully either way due to its glider-like wing cube loading of only 4.9. With a wingspan of 2300mm and a flying weight of 3kg, I found it necessary to add extra weight to balance the CG when using 2 3S 2200mah lipo batteries.
To determine the CG, I used 25% wing chord. You may have seen the maiden flight video where I discovered the need for an up thrust angle on the motor. However, I've already angled the motor mounting in this model, eliminating the need for any additional up thrust. Additionally, I revised the vertical stab angle to reduce the negative angle from the prototype. With these improvements, I believe you'll have a smoother build experience with no more trial and error.
1. Wingspan 2300 mm / 90.5 inches
2. Flying weight : 3000 grams/ 127 oz
3. Wing loading : 41.8 gram/dm2 - 13.74 oz/sq.ft.
4. Wing cube loading : 4.9
5. Wing Area : 71.69 dm2 / 1111 sq.in.
6. CG : 8.5 cm / 3.3 inch from leading edge
- 2x DXW 3536 1200kv
- 2x 50A ESC Aerostar
- 2x Battery Lipo 3S 2200mah
- 7 x 9 gram servos (metal micro servo)
- Jumper T16 + BetaFPV Express LRS TX module
- 10 ch BetaFPV Express LRS RX
1. 5mm Foamboard/ Depron/ Polyfoam
2. 2mm Plywood
3. hot glue, UHU glue, CA glue
4. Packing tapes
5. Mica plastic 0.3mm
6. Paper card
Download Plans in PDF :