Because of so many questions from beginners about paper type to use for paper modeling so I try to explain it in this article. The fact is, there is no such special paper for paper model. You can use any kind of paper that available on you, however every paper type has its own plus and minus. When you are going to make a paper model you should know the size of the built model, large size will need more thicker paper than the smaller one. Also there are some paper that can be printed with home printer (inkjet printer) but some don't, it must be printed with laser, offset printer or digital printing.
Below are list about paper type and weight, name can be different with your paper available in your country.
1. Matte Inkjet paper : 100 gsm good for small paper craft (below 10 cm/4 inches), special paper for inkjet.
2. Matte Inkjet paper : 120 gsm good for medium paper craft (below 15 cm/6 inches), special paper for inkjet.
3. Glossy Inkjet paper : 180 gsm good for medium paper craft (below 30 cm/6 inches), special paper for inkjet.
4. Briefcard (BC paper) : 160 gsm, plain paper (drawing paper, skecth paper) good for most of size and can be print with inkjet printer
5. Art paper : 150-210 gsm, semi gloss and stiff paper, bright color and can ONLY be print in Laser Digital Printing.
6. Jasmine paper : 175 gsm. it is a glittering colored paper for use on blank template, can be print with inkjet printer
7. Stardream paper : 120 gsm, also a gliterring colored paper but with more brilliant color, only can be print with Laser printer.
Now, paper size. Standard size for paper model is A4 and US Letter. Most of latest Paper Replika templates are in A4, but the old ones are in Letter, but some of them have been converted to A4. The big sized paper models that are using A4 : Optimus Prime detail (1 meter /3.3 feet), 1:1 Assault Rifle and others.