As I said before on my tweet and Paper Replika Facebook page, this is it, the first chapter on how to design paper model by using computer software. I'm trying my best to explain it in my average English language. I hope you can understand what I'm going to share with you. This tutorial or this method is unique, you can't find it anywhere else. The list of the softwares we're going to use:
- Gmax : a free 3d modeling software from Discreet, it has exactly the same feature on 3d modeling as 3d max (3D Studio Max), except for rendering, and animation. It was designed to modify and modeling objects in 3d games. You need to register (free) to obtain this software. You can download here (turbosquid.com).
- A Max script for translating gmax 3d coordinate into OBJ file format, a Wavefront 3d format. You can download here (tutorialboneyard.com)
- Pepakura Designer : a free unfolding software from Tamasoft. The free version (unregistered) still can be use except you can't save your work or export your work. You can download here (tamasoft.co.jp)
- Inkscape : is a free vector image editing software, the interface looks a lot like coreldraw or adobe Illustrator. You can download here (inkscape.org)
For you who are absolutely new in graphic design or 3d animation might be wondering what is the use of each softwares, so let me explain
- Gmax : to make a 3d object or a sculpture of your model in a virtual 3d world.
- Max Script : same as above, simple explanation is Gmax file (P3D) cannot be open by pepakura designer so it needs to be translated into a file type that pepakura designer can understood.
- Pepakura Designer : to unfold a 3d model into flatten unfold 2d part.
- Inkscape : to make paper model color and texture, to make assembly instructions and to make the final product that is PDF.
Steps that I will share with you
1. How to model a 3d model
2. How to unfold to make paper model template
3. How to color paper model template
4. How to make assembly instructions
I have added a new category in original papercraft section. After the above steps are finished I'll make tutorials on different case or subject. Each tutorial models can be downloaded the same as original papercrafts.
On the next post on Tutorial category I will share with you how to make a 3d model as paper model designer do, modeling method for paper model is a bit different from 3d modeling for games, 3d animation or still image rendering. In the meantime you can begin downloading those softwares and start familiarize them.
He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying ~ Friedrich Nietzsche.